2012 Update: Kansas extended benefits will end on April 7th, 2012.
Filing a claim for unemployment benefits in Kansas:
Please file for unemployment right away to avoid any days where you won’t get compensated. The best time to file is always the day following your last day of employment.This is because your benefits only go back to the date that you submitted your claim not your last day of work.
In Kansas State you are able to file your initial claim a couple different of ways.
- The preferred and fastest way to file an initial claim for unemployment benefits in Kansas is online.To access the online application please go to: Kansas Department of Labor
- If you do not meet the requirements to apply online or prefer another method, you may file an unemployment claim by phone. To find the correct Kansas office to call, please go the following page: File by phone
Information needed to file an initial claim:
No matter which way you choose to file your initial claim, there is certain information that will be requested.To speed up the application process, make sure to have the following information ready and available before you begin your application.
- Your Social Security Number (SSN)
- Your official name, mailing address, zip code and PO Box if you use one
- Your phone number
- Your county of residence
- Your State driver’s license, Photo ID card, or your Alien Registration Information if not a US citizen
- Your last employer’s name, payroll address, telephone number, employment dates, and separation reason
- The names, addresses, and dates of employment for ALL employers in the past 18months
- Your DD-214 if you served in the military within the past 18 months
- Your SF-8, if you worked in the federal government within the past 18 months
Appeal a Claim Determination:
After submitting your initial claim for unemployment benefits, a determination will be made as to whether or not you qualify for the insurance.Not everyone who submits a claim will be approved.If you get a notice saying that you have been denied unemployment benefits, you have the option to file an appeal regarding your claim determination.Here is a link to the Kansas State appeal information
Emergency Unemployment Compensation (UEC) / Unemployment Extension Options:
There are different tiers of extensions offered based on the unemployment status for each State. To learn about the Kansas State unemployment extensions please check out the following information on this page: Extensions
|Kansas State Department of Labor||http://www.getkansasbenefits.gov/|
|File an Initial Claim in Kansas State||https://www.getkansasbenefits.com/default.asp|
|Kansas State Unemployment Insurance FAQs||https://www.getkansasbenefits.com/faqs.asp|
|Kansas State Unemployment Homepage||http://www.getkansasbenefits.gov/|
|Appeal a Claim Determination in Kansas State||https://www.getkansasbenefits.com/documents/appeal_faqs.asp|